First Law - Closed Systems: Summary
Key points from this module:
- The first law is an energy balance. For a closed system ΔU = Q + W.
- Work is done when a gas expands against an external force in a piston-cylinder.
- An adiabatic process takes place when the system is well insulated or takes place rapidly.
From studying this module, you should now be able to:
- Perform energy balances around a closed system.
- Determine final states of various processes (e.g., constant pressure, adiabatic,constant volume, and constant temperature).
Prepared by John L. Falconer, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder