Fundamental Property Relations: Summary
Key points from this module:
- Using Maxwell relations and other mathematical relations allows thermodynamic properties for a species to be determined from its heat capacity and an equation of state.
- Useful relations between state variables can be derived from the first law applied to a reversible closed system.
From studying this module, you should now be able to:
- Know what is meant by an exact differential.
- Derive Maxwell relations from an exact differential.
- Apply the chain rule, triple product rule, and expansion rule.
Prepared by John L. Falconer, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder