Interactive Self-Study Module: Nonlinear Regression
This module contains screencasts that explain how to obtain parameters by nonlinear regression (NLR). The examples in the screencasts and computer solutions (either Excel spreadsheets or Polymath programs) are for kinetics. Your retention of material in this module will increase if you write down reasons for your answers to questions in screencasts, and you try to solve the example problems before watching the screencast solutions. We suggest using the learning resources in the following order:
- Watch the screencast that discusses nonlinear regression and answer the questions within the screencast.
- Review important equations for nonlinear regression.
- Try to solve the example problems before watching the solutions in the screencasts.
- Look at the list of key points, but only after you try to list the key points yourself.
This module is intended for a kinetics/reaction engineering course or a statistics/data analysis course.
Before studying this module, you should:
- Know how to use a spreadsheet and how to use Solver in Excel.
After studying this module, you should be able to:
- Apply nonlinear regression to obtain values of parameters and their 95% confidence intervals.