Submerged Gates: Summary
Key points from this module:
- Hydrostatic pressure is only a function of the water height, not the angle of the gate.
- Hydrostatic pressure increases linearly as water depth increases.
- The force due to water is perpendicular to a surface, independent of its orientation.
From studying this module, you should now be able to:
- Calculate the forces on a submerged surface.
- Calculate the center of pressure on a surface.
- Determine forces needed to hold a rotating or hinged gate in place.
Prepared by Janet deGrazia, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder