Wet and Dry Basis: Summary
Key points from this module:
- A wet basis includes all components in a stream, whereas a dry basis excludes water.
- The moisture content of a stream is the moles of water divided by the total moles in the stream on a wet or dry basis, written as a percentage.
- Mole balances can be used to interconvert between wet and dry basis.
From studying this module, you should now be able to:
- Distinguish between wet and dry bases and be able to analyze combustion reactions using either basis.
- Calculate the moisture content of a stream on both a wet and a dry basis and interconvert between the two bases.
Prepared by Nathan Jarvey, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder