Interactive Self-Study Module: Energy Balances with Phase Changes
This module uses screencasts and an interactive simulation to explain how to carry out energy balances when a phase change takes place. Your retention of material in this module will increase if you write down reasons for your answers to ConcepTests, questions in screencasts, and questions to answer before using the interactive simulation, and you try to solve the example problems before watching the screencast solutions. We suggest using the learning resources in the following order:
- Attempt to answer the multiple-choice ConcepTest and solve the example problem before watching the screencasts or working with the simulation.
- Watch the screencasts that describe energy balances when a phase change takes place and answer the questions within the screencasts.
- Review important equations for energy balances with phase changes.
- Use the interactive simulation to further understand the behavior of energy changes associated with phase changes.
- Try to solve the example problems before watching the solutions in the screencasts.
- Answer the ConcepTests.
- Look at the list of key points, but only after you try to list the key points yourself.
- The module describes energy balances where both temperature changes and phase changes occur (but no reaction).
- This module is intended for a material and energy balances course.
Before studying this module, you should be able to:
After studying this module, you should be able to:
- Solve energy balances that involve phase changes.
- Explain the difference between sensible heat and latent heat.